This hands-on training workshop provides you with the advanced knowledge, skills, and abilities to achieve competence in troubleshooting the VMware® vSphere® environment. This workshop also increases your skill and competence in using the command line to analyze problems. The workshop is based on VMware ESXi™ 5.1 and VMware® vCenter Server™ 5.1.
To learn more about vSphere administration, go to www.vmware.com/education for other course options.
Compare VMware vSphere Troubleshooting Workshop with VMware vSphere Optimize and Scale
• Use the VMware vSphere® Web Client, the command line, and log files to diagnose and correct problems in vSphere.
• Configure SSL certificates.
• Troubleshoot networking issues.
• Troubleshoot storage issues.
• Troubleshoot vCenter Server issues.
• Troubleshoot ESXi host issues.
• Troubleshoot vSphere cluster issues.
• Troubleshoot VMware vSphere® vMotion® issues.
• Troubleshoot virtual machine issues.
• System administrators
• System integrators
Required prerequisites include completion of one of the following:
• VMware® Certified Professional 5 – Datacenter Virtualization (VCP5-DCV)
• VMware vSphere: Fast Track [V5.1] • VMware vSphere: Optimize and Scale [V5.1] • Equivalent knowledge and administration experience with ESXi and vCenter Server
Experience with working at the command prompt is highly recommended.
1 Course Introduction
• Introductions and course logistics
• Course objectives
2 Introduction to Troubleshooting
• Using a structured approach to troubleshooting
3 Troubleshooting Tools
• Adding the VMware vSphere® Management Assistant to an Active Directory environment
• Using commands to record information about your vSphere configuration
• Locating important log files
• Gathering log bundles for technical support
4 SSL Certificates
• Implementing SSL certificates for vCenter Server
• Implementing SSL certificates for ESXi
• Troubleshooting standard switch issues
• Troubleshooting virtual machine network connectivity issues
• Troubleshooting management network connectivity issues
• Troubleshooting distributed switch issues
• Troubleshooting LUN connectivity issues
• Troubleshooting multipathing issues
7 Cluster Management
• Troubleshooting vSphere cluster issues
• Troubleshooting vSphere vMotion issues
8 vCenter Server and ESXi
• Troubleshooting vCenter Server issues
• Troubleshooting ESXi host issues
9 Virtual Machines
• Troubleshooting virtual machine state issues
• Troubleshooting VMware® Tools™ installation issues
• Troubleshooting VMware snapshot issues
• Troubleshooting virtual machine power-on issues