Who should attend:
This course is intended for the following audiences:
- System administrators
- Data Center Systems engineers
- Data Center Field Engineers
- Data Center technicians or administrators
- System Operators responsible for vSphere and vCenter Server
- Professionals who need to deploy, configure, and manage the FlexPod solution
The following prerequisite skills and knowledge are recommended:
- Understanding of server system design and architecture
- Basic VMWare environment background
- Familiarity with Ethernet and TCP/IP networking
FlexPod Infrastructure – Design, Implementation & Administration (FLEXPODI) is a 5-day intensive course designed for building and administering the highly-scalable, reliable and intelligent infrastructure building block for cloud computing solutions, called FlexPod. This infrastructure building block integrates the power of Cisco & NetApp together serving VMWare or Microsoft Hyper-V to provide the most efficient Data Center solution. This course explores in-depth mechanisms of Cisco Unified Computing Systems & Cisco Nexus 5K hand-in-hand with NetApp FAS storage systems and how they integrate into the FlexPod architecture serving virtualization solutions. Significant content is devoted to building block technologies and protocols as well as to the complete FlexPod solution and its design. The course covers detailed considerations of the proper sizing of a FlexPod infrastructure as well as scaling it appropriate to customer requirements. Ample focus is set to hands-on configuration and management of UCS B-Series servers, NetApp FAS3200 systems and VMWare vSphere environments for deployment as well as day-to-day operations of a FlexPod solution.
Upon completing this course, the learner will be able to meet these overall objectives:
- Understand the shared vision of virtualization and the Cloud.
- Explore the FlexPod Solution Architecture.
- Describe the components of the Cisco UCS B-Series product family.
- Describe how Cisco UCS B-Series Blade Servers connect to the chassis and achieve external connectivity.
- Setting up an Initial Cisco UCS B-Series Cluster.
- Implement local and remote authentication services for device management
- Design the LAN of the Cisco data center unified computing solution.
- Implement LAN connectivity for Cisco UCS B-Series hardware.
- Design the SAN of the Cisco data center unified computing solution.
- Implement SAN connectivity for Cisco UCS B-Series hardware.
- Provision identity and resource pools.
- Provide high-level product overview and architecture of the Cisco Nexus 5K.
- Configure Layer 2 switching and related features on the Cisco Nexus 5K.
- Configure Ethernet port channels and virtual port channels on the Cisco Nexus 5K.
- Provide a review of the Fiber Channel Protocol operation.
- Configure FCoE on the Cisco Nexus 5K.
- Configure SAN switching features on the Cisco Nexus 5K.
- Explore the dimensions of the NetApp Storage environment.
- Describe the WAFL file system concepts and processes.
- Perform basic administration on a FAS storage system.
- Explain and configure physical storage.
- Explain and configure logical storage.
- Identify the configuration of network settings and components.
- Describe High Availability solutions for NetApp controllers.
- Identify and configure NFS.
- Understand an overview of the SAN environment.
- Implement Fiber Channel connectivity.
- Implement iSCSI connectivity.
- Describe how to access the LUN on a storage system.
- Describe NetApp integration with vSphere environment.
- Describe vSphere FC/FCoE connectivity with NetApp
- Describe vSphere iSCSI connectivity with NetApp
- Describe vSphere LUN access with NetApp
- Explore virtualization solutions with NetApp.
- Evaluate proper sizing & scaling considerations for FlexPod infrastructure.
- Explain FlexPod solution with Microsoft Private Cloud.
- Explain Oracle RAC built on FlexPod solution.
The course consists of the following modules:
- The journey to Virtualization & the Cloud
- FlexPod Solution Architecture Overview
- Describing the Cisco UCS B-Series Product Family
- Connecting Cisco UCS B-Series Blade Servers
- Setting up an Initial Cisco UCS B-Series Cluster
- Implementing RBAC
- Designing the Unified Computing Network
- Implementing Cisco UCS B-Series LAN Connectivity
- Designing Unified Computing Storage
- Implementing Cisco UCS B-Series SAN Connectivity
- Provisioning Resource Pools in Cisco UCS Manager
- Introducing the Cisco Nexus 5000 Series Switches
- Configuring Layer 2 Switching Features
- Configuring Virtual Port Channels and Enhanced vPC
- Understanding the Fiber Channel Protocol
- Configuring FCoE
- Configuring SAN Switching Features
- The NetApp Storage Environment
- WAFL Simplified
- Basic administration of a NetApp FAS system
- NetApp Physical Storage
- NetApp Logical Storage
- NetApp Networking
- NetApp High Availability
- NetApp in NFS NAS Environment
- SAN Overview
- FC Connectivity
- iSCSI Connectivity
- LUN Access
- vSphere Overview
- vSphere FC Connectivity
- vSphere iSCSI Connectivity
- vSphere LUN Access
- NetApp virtualization solutions
- FlexPod Data Center Solutions Sizing
- FlexPod with Microsoft Private Cloud
- Oracle RAC built on FlexPod